Experiment #1 – milk bottle lids

Given the crazy cost of creating my products using the old fashion manufacturing method of injection moulding, I decided to experiment with plastic using even older methods, but that would cost me only my time. My raw ingredient? Milk bottle lids.

Instead of coming up with a solution to a problem where recycled plastic can be the main ingredient, I thought I would work backwards and use a known waste plastic and see what I could do with that.

There’s a charity in town that started collecting lids for a company that makes prosthetic limbs for children. However, they are way over capacity now. So, I knew that there were buckets of lids just lying around, and I managed to grab a bucket from my friends over at Local Press. Most of them were milk bottle lids from the local milk company.

This is the experiment I just did to see if I could make a minimum viable product.

Cleaning and sorting milk bottle lids

More work to do, but a truly interesting process in any case to see if I could replicate some of the things I’ve seen online and heard about, but using my own methods to experiment with milk bottle lids as my plastic source.

Published by

Tammy Ven Dange

IT Consultant for the Not for Profit Sector | Host of "Executive with a Cause" Podcast

2 thoughts on “Experiment #1 – milk bottle lids”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.