Given the crazy cost of creating my products using the old fashion manufacturing method of injection moulding, I decided to experiment with plastic using even older methods, but that would cost me only my time. My raw ingredient? Milk bottle lids.
Instead of coming up with a solution to a problem where recycled plastic can be the main ingredient, I thought I would work backwards and use a known waste plastic and see what I could do with that.
There’s a charity in town that started collecting lids for a company that makes prosthetic limbs for children. However, they are way over capacity now. So, I knew that there were buckets of lids just lying around, and I managed to grab a bucket from my friends over at Local Press. Most of them were milk bottle lids from the local milk company.
This is the experiment I just did to see if I could make a minimum viable product.
More work to do, but a truly interesting process in any case to see if I could replicate some of the things I’ve seen online and heard about, but using my own methods to experiment with milk bottle lids as my plastic source.